First responders rescued two women from a smoke-filled apartment Tuesday morning in Lake Worth, according to Palm Beach County Fire Rescue.
Arriving crews said smoke was coming from a second-floor apartment when they arrived in the 500 block of South K Street around 10:30.
They were told there were two people inside.
Firefighters found the women in a back room and took them to safety, fire rescue said.
Emergency crews took the pair to a hospital for treatment. Their conditions have not been released.
The fire was contained to one apartment. It began when one of the people fell asleep and smoking materials dropped into a mattress, fire rescue said.
Investigators are classifying the fire as accidental and said the damage is estimated at $1,000.