A child in Las Vegas suffered serious burns after it came into contact with scalding water that was inside a simple garden hose.
A picture tweeted Monday by Las Vegas Fire Rescue shows the child very red with peeling skin.
Fire Rescue said the hose had been exposed to direct sunlight, which can heat the non-flowing water to 130 degrees to 140 degrees.
Las Vegas Fire Rescue advised letting the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals.
Although Florida doesn't approach the sultry temperatures of the Desert Southwest, this is good advice to consider with summer approaching.
Here in Las Vegas, a garden hose exposed to direct sunlight during summer can heat the water inside the hose (not flowing) to 130-140 degrees which can cause burns especially to children & animals. Let the water flow a few minutes to cool before spraying on people or animals. pic.twitter.com/FMkzEt27xl
— Las Vegas FireRescue (@LasVegasFD) June 4, 2018