PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. — Prosecutors in Palm Beach County are pushing for the death penalty in a case that gained national attention in August.
Jorge Dupre Lachazo is charged with first-degree murder after police said the 21-year-old delivery worker beat a woman inside her Boca Raton home and then set her body on fire.
The victim, Evelyn Udell, purchased a brand new washer and dryer from Best Buy. The company subcontracted the delivery to a third party.
Police say Lachazo hit Udell over the head with a mallet, and doused her with a chemical, which caught fire.
The 75-year-old woman had burns on more than 50 percent of her body and underwent emergency brain surgery, but she died the next day. The motive behind the attack is still unclear.
According to the Florida Chamber of Commerce, the state adds 900 new residents per day. With a new home and the holidays coming, there is a good chance you are going to be receiving a delivery.
Whether you’re looking to buy a brand new refrigerator, or purchase a washer and dryer, the No. 1 safety tip is don’t be home alone.
- Schedule the service call or delivery when someone else will be home with you or invite a friend over for coffee. If no one else can be there, call a friend or loved one on the phone in front of the worker.
- Lock up any important documents, jewelry or valuables before your appointment. Don’t follow the worker around your house, your valuables are not as important as your safety.
- Be aware of the questions workers ask you, and don’t give away too much personal information.
- Make sure the delivery workers have the proper identification.
- If the delivery truck pulls up to your home with a different name then the store you made your purchase at, that is a red flag.
- Ask the store questions: - Is the delivery subcontracted out? - Does the store perform background checks on delivery workers? -What’s the delivery worker’s name, and what time will they arrive?
The more information you have, the safer you will be, and always listen to your gut. If you don’t have a good feeling, take your business elsewhere.