WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — First it was postponed. Then it wasn't. Now it's been canceled.
SunFest released a statement late Friday saying the annual downtown waterfront music and art festival has been canceled.
The decision comes after SunFest officials met with the city and "agreed that canceling was in the best interest of public health and safety."
"Unfortunately, postponing until later this year was not a viable option given a number of factors including site availability, artists scheduling and hurricane season," the statement said. "We share the disappointment that many people will feel with this news, but recognize that there are far more important priorities in the world today."
This is the first time since SunFest began in 1982 that it has been scrapped, ending a streak of 38 consecutive years.
SunFest began as a 10-day festival in 1982 before scaling back to three days two years later. In 1986, it expanded again to five days, a format it maintained for more than 20 years.
Two years ago, SunFest was reduced to four days.
"SunFest has a history of 38 consecutive years and we plan to start a new chapter next year," the statement said. "Same time, same place."
Ticket holders will be contacted Monday with further details on how to receive refunds.
In the meantime, though, SunFest had a message for its fans.
"SunFest is a time for our fans to celebrate this community, music and one another," the statement said. "We ask that you channel your festival spirit into helping others in our community today and every day until this has passed. Our neighboring businesses and faithful sponsors and vendors will feel the loss just as much as we will. We encourage everyone to continue to support local businesses, artists and musicians."
List of Postponed and Canceled City of West Palm Beach Events
- 500 Block Merchant Weekend Street Closure (3/13-3/15, 3/20-3/22) – CANCELED
- Afternoons in the Village (3/21, 3/28) – CANCELED
- Art Night Out (3/27) – CANCELED
- Barrett-Jackson 2020 Palm Beach Auction (4/16-4/18)– POSTPONED
- Brew at the Zoo (4/4) – POSTPONED
- Downtown West Palm Beach Bike Valet (3/14, 3/21) – CANCELED
- Downtown West Palm Beach Bike Valet at Currie Park (3/28) – CANCELED
- Farmer’s Market at Currie Park (3/28) – CANCELED
- Fiesta on Flagler (3/13) – CANCELED
- Marlon Wayans at the Palm Beach Improv (3/13-3/15)– CANCELED
- Mercedes-Benz Corporate Run (4/14-4/16) – POSTPONED
- Norton Museum (3/13-3/31)– CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC
- NFL annual meeting in Palm Beach – CANCELED
- O’Sheas St. Patrick’s Day Weekend Party (3/17) – CANCELED
- Palm Beach International Boat Show (3/19-4/4) – POSTPONED
- Palm Beach Walk to Defeat ALS (3/14) – POSTPONED
- Philanthropy Tank’s Live Event VIP reception with Palm Beach County Schools Superintendent Donald Fennoy (3/19) – CANCELED
- Roxy’s Pub St. Patrick’s Day Block Party (3/17) – CANCELED
- Spring Training at the FITTeam Ballpark of the Palm Beaches in West Palm Beach – SUSPENDED
- True Fast Outreach Ministries Health Fair (3/21) – POSTPONED
- West Palm Beach Antique Flea & Craft Market (3/14, 3/21) – CANCELED
- West Palm Beach Antique Flea & Craft Market at Currie Park (3/28) – CANCELED