DELRAY BEACH, Fla. - A stunt man spoke Friday at Delray Medical Center after he was engulfed by flames Thursday during a routine at Atlantic High School.
Ricky Charles a performer and owner of the company "Inferno Challenge," is expected to be released from the hospital Friday or Saturday.
Dr. Jean Farber said he suffered second-degree burns to his face, arm and thigh.
Charles, 52, said he takes responsibility for not practicing before using the Coleman camping oil during Thursday's performance. Prior to Thursday's performance, Charles said he would use charcoal lighter fluid.
Charles said he's performed 200 to 300 times at schools in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties within the last year and recently performed a fire stunt at Spanish River High School in Boca Raton.
District officials say Thursday's performance violated school policy. Charles acknowledged that and said the school requested the fire finish.
"That's why I asked before I do it, so I get my deal out of the way," Charles said. "You guys want fire, no, we'll do this [instead]."
The Palm Beach County School Superintendent Dr. Robert Avossa said they've only found four instances where "Inferno Challenge" was contracted.
Two of those instances were at Spanish River and another at Boca High School, Avossa said.
Watch the news conference
Charles said he asked Atlantic High School representatives if he could use fire, and they wanted him to use it in the finale of his performance.
A tearful Charles said he'll continue to perform despite the scary accident.
"This is just me falling down. I got to get up. You can't stop me from doing it again," said Charles.