Indianapolis 500 qualifying was delayed again Sunday after a third car flipped on the track.
Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Doug Boles said IndyCar engineers were investigating why cars keep going airborne during crashes.
— Brad Brown (@BradBrownTV) May 17, 2015
All I can say is I’m sorry to all the fans. This is unreal.
— Graham Rahal (@GrahamRahal) May 17, 2015
Drivers Josef Newgarden, Helio Castroves and Ed Carpenter all found themselves flying through the air after crashing their cars during practice.
Pippa Mann also suffered a spinout crash Wednesday, but did not lift off from the track.
Track spectators said the problem appeared to be with aero kits on the cars.
Update: Honda teams have been told to run same aero pieces in qualy they'll run in the race. Changes aren't exclusive to Chevy. #IndyCar
— Dave Furst (@DaveFurst) May 17, 2015
Practices were put on hold Sunday for track repair after Carpenter's crash.
Find the revised schedule for Sunday below:
REVISED SUNDAY SCHEDULE (all times local):
- 1:30-2 PM: First half Draw Group 1 Practice
- 2-2:30 PM: Second Half Draw Group 2 Practice
- 2:45 PM: Group 1 in Tech Line
- 3:15 PM: Group 2 in Tech Line
- 3:15 PM: Qualifications being (all cars one time through line)
- No Fast 9 qualification session today.