(WFLA-TV/NBC) - A Tampa man says his Apple AirPods earphone blew up while he was at a gym.
Jason Colon said he was listening to music while working out at an LA Fitness in St. Petersburg when he noticed smoke billowing from his Apple Airpods.
He says he set the AirPods down on a piece of workout equipment to get help, but when he returned, he was shocked to find the right earbud blown apart and charred.
Colon says he's thankful he thought to remove the headphones before they apparently went up in flames.
"It already popped. I didn't see it happen, but I mean it was already fried. You can see where it looks like flame damage,” said Colon. "I don't know what would've happened to my ear … my ear lobe could've got burnt."
An Apple spokeswoman told WFLA-TV in Tampa that the company is investigating and will reach out to Colon.
Courtesy WFLA-TV via NBC News Channel