Hoverboard ignites inside Boca Raton home moments after child was riding on it

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Pamela Levine says her 11-year old daughter, Sophie, just missed getting injured by her hoverboard Saturday night.

"She felt it get hot, she jumped off, and it was in flames," she says.

Pamela quickly put water on the flames, and says the fire was out before firefighters arrived.

On Wednesday, she had crews inside her home cleaning up the mess left behind and repairing the damage to her kitchen.

One of the men helping with the mess was David Evanosky.

He says he just bought a similar hoverboard for his grandson.

"It's the hottest thing out there. All the kids want it. I've got three grandkids that want it," he says.

After seeing what happened at Pamela's house, he says he plans on returning the toy.

"I'm going to return it. There's no way I'm going to let my grandson on that thing. I was going to buy two others."

Pamela admits she was going to buy two more for her kids, but says she won't be buying anymore after what happened.

"We're never getting another one. We're done. Done," she says.

Michael Lasalle is the assistant chief of Boca Raton Fire Rescue.

He says parents need to make sure a toy is UL approved before buying it for their kids.

"Some of the units are not safe. Be careful what you purchase," he says.

The news comes just days after a family in Louisiana lost their home to a fire caused by a hoverboard .

Print this article Back to Top