In this Jan. 28, 2017, file photo, Venus Williams answers questions at a press conference following her loss to sister Serena in the women's singles final at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia. Florida police said Thursday, June 29, 2017, that Williams was in a car crash earlier in the month. He said the June 9th crash was under investigation, but declined to give further details. (AP Photo/Kin Cheung, File)
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla. - The attorney for a man killed in a crash involving tennis star Venus Williams has filed a motion for a second time to look at Williams's cellphone records.
Evidence gathered indicates Williams might have been distracted or had unnecessary delays in her reaction to traffic signals, the attorney claims in the court record.
Jerome Barson died two weeks after the June 9 crash in the intersection of North Lake Blvd. and BallenIsles Dr.
Attorneys at Steinger, Iscoe & Greene representing the Barson family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Williams.
On July 11, the attorneys filed a motion to look at Williams's cellphone records, among other records requested.
The attorney for Williams objected to the request the following week.
Attorneys for the Barson family asked a judge on Friday for the second time to have access to the cellphone records at the time of the crash.