A surfer at Cocoa Beach was bitten by a shark on the foot.
COCOA BEACH, Fla. - A surfer had quite a scare Tuesday while he was surfing off Cocoa Beach, Fla.
Officials said the surfer was coming onto shore when a shark bit him on the foot in shallow water.
The man was able to free himself by grabbing the shark by the gills.
Lifeguards helped him out of the water and onto the shore where he was bandaged. He was taken to the hospital with what was described as a "bad bite."
The beach was closed for a short time and later re-opened under a shark advisory.
Video for mobile users:
Courtesy: WESH, NBC News Channel