NewsRegion St Lucie CountyFort Pierce


Graphic new details released about deadly dog bite at Humane Society of St. Lucie County

Posted: 2:19 PM, May 15, 2019
Updated: 2019-05-15 23:56:13-04

FORT PIERCE, Fla. — Fort Pierce police have finished their investigation into a deadly dog bite at the Humane Society of St. Lucie County, and released graphic new details about the incident.

According to a police report, a volunteer found the body of 52-year-old Christine Liquori in an outdoor dog play area around 2 p.m. on May 9.

Police said Liquori, a volunteer, had "several lacerations and puncture marks to her right arm" and severe injuries to her face, which was covered in blood. A white plastic lawn chair, also covered in blood, was laying on its side next to Liquori.

According to investigators, Amos, a pit bull mix, was found in the play area near Liquori with blood on its face. The dog was quickly placed in a quarantined kennel.

A volunteer said he was conducting his daily walk-through at the Humane Society earlier in the day, when he noticed Amos wasn't in his kennel. That's when he went outside to the dog play area and found Liquori's body.

The St. Lucie County Medical Examiner determined Liquori died of severe blood loss due to dog bites, and her death was ruled accidental.

On Wednesday, Fort Pierce police released 911 calls from the incident.

"Do you want to try CPR? I can give you instructions," a dispatcher said on one of the calls.

"No. She's um, she's mutilated," the caller answered. "And she's dead."


RELATED: Safety policies to be reviewed following deadly dog bite | Rescue groups meet to help Humane Society make changes

David Robertson, the Executive Director of the Humane Society, said Amos was dropped off to them on April 15 after he was found roaming the streets. Robertson claimed Amos never showed any signs of aggression before.

Police said there was one surveillance camera outside where the incident happened, but it wasn't working at the time.

WPTV confirmed Amos was euthanized on Friday, one day after Liquori's death.

On Wednesday, Fort Pierce Police Chief Diane Hobley-Burney released this statement about the incident:

"This was a terrible tragedy for the victim, the family, and our community. We have worked closely with Ms. Liquori’s family during this extremely difficult time to ensure they receive needed services."