Ariel Castro, Cleveland kidnapping suspect: Chains and tape found in basement of Seymour Avenue home

CLEVELAND (AP) -- Cleveland's police chief says the three women held captive in a house for nearly a decade were restrained with ropes and chains and allowed out into the back yard occasionally.

Chief Michael McGrath said in an interview on NBC's "Today" show Wednesday that the physical condition of the three women rescued Monday was "very good considering the circumstances."

McGrath says he was "absolutely" sure police did everything they could to find the women over the years. He disputed claims by neighbors that officers had been called to the house before for suspicious circumstances.

McGrath says the three men who have been arrested in the case "are talking" but he wouldn't say if they have confessed. He says a charging decision could come later Wednesday.

-------ORIGINAL STORY--------

CLEVELAND - Details continue to unfold about how three women who were being held in a Seymour Avenue home for 10 years.

Police told NewsChannel5's Paul Kiska Tuesday morning that chains and apparent bondage gear were found in the basement of the home.

A source said Ariel Castro kept Michelle Knight, Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, at times, tied up with the chains and tape.

The source said the girls were kept separate in different rooms.

They were possibly untied at different times.

A police source said there were multiple pregnancies among the missing women.

The three were found Monday night on Cleveland's west side. They have since been released from the hospital.

Mayor Frank Jackson said there are still many unanswered questions in this case.

Every lead had been followed up on over the years.

"We are thankful they were found," Jackson said.

Cleveland Police Safety Director Martin Flask said there were two 911 calls to police just before 6 p.m. Monday.

It took police 6 minutes to confirm the identities of Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus, and then another minute to confirm the identity of Michelle Knight.

Investigators were at the Seymour home all night and are expected back at the scene on Tuesday.

Print this article Back to Top