Atlantic Avenue's "Caffe Martier" shut down by state inspectors

Chef says problem fixed and back open 1 day later

PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - Outside, customers of the popular "Caffe Martier" on Atlantic Avenue sip on coffee and dine on European pastries. But state inspectors discovered a different story inside the kitchen, with rodent droppings found near the mop bucket, under the sink, and under the dishwasher.

"I'm obviously disturbed, and you know what we did? We immediately closed down," explains Justin Desimone, the restaurant's chef. "We had inspectors come in here. We had our own inspectors come in here and inspect the building. They found what could possibly be a problem and we patched it up that night."

"Caffe Martier" reopened the next morning, and a couple of their loyal customers had nothing but praise for the restaurant.

"We love it really because it's just good, simple food," says Sam, a tourist from Europe who visits the restaurant often when she's in Delray. "It's a city, things happen. As long as everything's cleaned up. I wouldn't not consider coming. It just happens. It's life isn't it?"


Mulligans Grill & Raw Bar- 2019 NE Jensen Beach Blvd had a stop sale on chowder and bisque soups that were not cooled properly. There were also flying insects in the bar area. A spokesperson says the restaurant is diligent in checking temperatures, and the insects are a result of them having an open bar door.

D'Angelo Trattoria Pizzeria- 9 SE 7 Ave in Delray Beach had a stop sale on several foods being held out of temperature for more than 4 hours. A manager says the problem has been fixed.


David Shin Ju Japanese Buffet- 7875 Glades Road in Boca Raton had 63 violations last week, the most of any restaurant inspected in our area. Please see our story called "Customers say they got sick at Boca Raton buffet."  (bitly link: )

Asian House Chinese Restaurant- 5220 US Highway 1 in Vero Beach had 24 violations last week, the second most of any restaurant. High priority violations included foods being held at the wrong temperature and improper handling of raw chicken.

To see if your favorite restaurant had any violations, click here.

Print this article Back to Top