Retired NBA point guard Kenny Anderson charged with leaving the scene of a Miramar crash

MIRAMAR, Fla.-- Retired NBA point guard Kenny Anderson was charged with leaving the scene of an accident Sunday after Miramar police say his Cadillac Escalade failed to negotiate a curve and crashed into two trees along a swale.

No one was injured in the incident and Anderson, 41, was charged with the misdemeanor offense after the crash that happened in the early evening, according to Miramar police.

The Queens, New York-born Anderson, who played for nine NBA teams, left the scene on foot, according to a Miramar Police complaint affidavit.

Anderson was met at his Pembroke Pines home by police in that city who advised him to return to the scene, Miramar Police spokeswoman Tania Rues said Tuesday.

Anderson had left Bokamper's Sports Bar & Grill at 15500 S.W. 29th Street before the crash that happened a few blocks away at 3183 S.W. 160th Avenue (Dykes Road), Rues said.

The retired athlete, who coaches boys basketball coach at the private David Posnack Jewish Day School in Davie, told an officer that a blown tire caused him to lose control of his SUV, the police report states.

Mitch Evron, athletic director at Posnack, had no comment about the incident and said the school has been happy with Anderson, who began coaching there this year.

The officer on scene noted that all four tires on the Escalade were blown out and the rims were bent.

The report also states that Anderson's breath smelled of alcohol, that his speech was slurred and that he admitted having a few drinks prior to crashing his vehicle.

Anderson was not charged with driving under the influence, and Rues said he was treated just like anyone else would be in similar circumstances.

"Just because he admitted having a couple of drinks does not mean we can legally prove that he was over the legal limit," Rues said. "And because he went home, it's difficult to prove that he was over the legal limit when he was driving."

Anderson was briefly jailed and appeared before a judge at bond court, Rues said. Efforts to reach him on a cell phone and at the school Tuesday were not successful.

Staff Reporter Dieter Kurtenbach and Staff Researcher Barbara Hijek contributed to this report. 

Copyright © 2011, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Print this article Back to Top