Miami Hurricanes storm back to defeat the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in overtime

Miami scored an epic 42-36 overtime win

ATLANTA — Miami scored an epic 42-36 overtime win, stunning Georgia Tech on its home field.

Miami's defense stuffed the vaunted triple option attack when the Hurricanes needed it the most, stopping Miami's Tevin Washington on the Hurricanes' 1-yard line on fourth down.

Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson opted not to go for the sure field goal in close range, instead trusting his potent ground game to deliver the inches his team needed.

Instead, Miami got the stop.

Mike James rushed for a game-winning 10-yard touchdown in overtime and the Hurricanes began their postgame celebration.

"Our kids hung in there," Miami coach Al Golden told the ACC Network TV crew after the game. " ... It means a lot on the road in the ACC."

The Hurricanes scored 23 unanswered points to come back in a game that appeared to be over.

Miami raced out to a 19-0 lead, but a gruesome injury to freshman receiver Malcolm Lewis seemed to deflate the Hurricanes. Georgia Tech scored 36 unanswered points to regain control of the contest.

Miami came up with a huge counter punch, scoring 17 key points.

The Hurricanes' defense got a stop and gave Miami one last chance to tie the contest.

Quarterback Stephen Morris took over the offense at the Miami 48-yard line with 2:06 left in the contest. He moved the ball down the field. Georgia Tech penalties helped keep the drive alive with 32 seconds left.

He connected with James for a 10-yard touchdown pass with 38 seconds left. Jake Wieclaw hit the extra point to tie the game with 27 seconds left.

Georgia Tech could do little with the time it had left and the teams are headed to overtime.

The Hurricanes were in a position to tie the contest earlier in the fourth quarter, but a critical drive stalled in the red zone.

Duke Johnson rushed for a loss of one yard during first-and-goal at the Georgia Tech 3-yard line. Morris then tossed a pair of incomplete passes. After a pair of timeouts, Wieclaw missed a 22-yard field goal attempt to keep the score 36-29 Georgia Tech.