Apparently Dan Marino won't be suing the NFL after all.
The Sun Sentinel reports the former Miami Dolphins quarterback intends to withdraw from a lawsuit against the NFL for concussions.
“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error,” a source said to the Sun-Sentinel.
A source suggested to the Miami Herald that a mistake among lawyers had been made.
Earlier the Associated Press reported that the 52-year-old member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame was one of 15 former players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week.
It said Marino and the other 14 plaintiffs joined more than 4,800 others who have alleged the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The NFL has denied those claims.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
I'm told Dan Marino did not expect "backlash" he heard over suit. Questions abt timing post CBS, possibility of clouding future with Fins.— Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) June 3, 2014
The NFL tells The Herald that it has not and would not tell the Dolphins or any club not to hire a former player suing the league.— Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) June 3, 2014