Gunman released hours before murder suicide in Longmont, Colorado

LONGMONT, Colo. - Just six hours after being released from jail in the kidnapping of his ex-girlfriend, a man shot and killed the woman, her sister and brother-in-law before taking his own life in a home near Longmont early Tuesday morning.

Weld County Sheriff John Cooke said 31-year-old Daniel Sanchez's final act of vengeance was captured on a 911 call his former girlfriend, Beatriz Cintora-Silva, made about 4:13 a.m. to report the attack in her sister's home in the 11,000-block of Hot Spring.

The 25-year-old woman had just given the home address to the dispatcher when she said, "No, no, no," according to the 911 call recording. There was a gunshot and the sound of the phone being dropped.

Then Sanchez came on the phone.

"Hello, I just shot everybody in the house," Sanchez said.

"You just shot everybody?" the dispatch asked.

"Yeah," the man replied in a matter-of-fact tone.

The dispatcher kept him on the phone for about two minutes, asking him to explain who he'd shot and what happened.

Sanchez said he'd shot "my ex-girlfriend because she's was cheating on me with (a new boyfriend)." He added that he'd also killed the woman's sister and brother-in-law.

"I'm going to shoot myself right now," Sanchez said on the recording.

The dispatcher tried to keep Sanchez talking, saying, "OK, just stay with me, OK. Don't shoot yourself."

But eventually there's a click on the line and the dispatcher told colleagues, "I think he just shot himself."

Arriving SWAT team members found the body of Beatriz Cintora-Silva in one bedroom. Her sister, Maria Cintora-Silva, 22, and Maria's husband, Max Aguirre Ojeda, 32, were found shot in their bed.

The sheriff said Sanchez had used a 45.-caliber Glock semi-automatic handgun to blast his way through a back door to enter the house.

Investigators found Sanchez's body, with the handgun near him, in a bedroom on the west side of the house, Cooke said.

The sheriff said two ammunition clips, each able to hold 13 bullets, were found along with the handgun. Cooke estimated that, along with one bullet in the gun's chamber, Sanchez might have had up to 27 bullets.

Police found 16 spent shell casings in the house and were still looking for additional bullet slugs and spent casings.

Beatriz Cintora-Silva broke up with Sanchez at Thanksgiving and police reports said she had "lived in fear" because Sanchez was verbally and physically abusive toward her.

The ex-girlfriend had taken refuge in the home of her sister and brother-in-law.

"I heard shots at 4:13 this morning. Woke me up and my wife," said neighbor George Vibbert, who also said deputies asked him and his wife to stay away from their windows.

"I heard three [shots] then screaming after that," said Joyce Vibbert.

Recordings of radio calls indicated deputies had recently been to the home where the shooting occurred.

CALL7 Investigators obtained a Saturday Longmont Police Department report detailing the violent relationship Beatriz Cintora-Silva had with Sanchez and her efforts to leave him.

The names of Maria Guadalupe Cintora-Silva and  Beatriz Cintora-Silva appear in the police report. Beatriz is listed as the victim.

The police report said Beatriz Cintora-Silva had recently broken up with Sanchez, her boyfriend of four years.

The former couple agreed to meet at a Best Buy parking lot and spoke amicably, the report said, until the woman received a text from her new boyfriend.

Sanchez responded by calling the new boyfriend and leaving a profanity-laced voicemail. He also sent threatening texts to the man, the report said. The woman tried to get her phone back and Sanchez forced her into his white Dodge Ram pickup and drove her out to a dirt farm road.

Beatriz Cintora-Silva told police that Sanchez had slammed her head into the dash when she tried to escape. Sanchez later released the woman who went with her new boyfriend to report the attack to police.

Beatriz Cintora-Silva told police that during her relationship with Sanchez she had "lived in fear" because Sanchez was verbally and physically abusive toward her. She also related a story of an altercation on Thanksgiving that involved Sanchez throwing food at her and throwing her clothes out of his home.

It was after that holiday, the police report said, that the woman went to live with her sister. Sanchez had shown up to that home at some point and Weld County deputies were sent there on the report of an unwanted party, but he was gone by the time they arrived.

From the police report and CBI records, CALL7 Investigators learned Sanchez was arrested on Sunday for false imprisonment, kidnapping and harassment.

Boulder County sheriff's officials said they had notified Beatriz Cintora-Silva and her new boyfriend at about 9:30 p.m. that Sanchez was about about to be released from jail.

Sanchez was freed about 30 minutes later after posting $10,000 bond.

Law enforcement sources told CALL7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta that $10,000 is a typical bond from a suspect

like Sanchez, who had no prior arrest history in Colorado. Sources noted that he'd also turned himself into police in the kidnapping incident.

Police radio traffic after the Tuesday shooting showed that deputies remembered responding to the earlier conflict between Sanchez and his ex-girlfriend.  

"Did the caller say who was shot? Do we know how many victims, ages or gender?" asked a deputy on a radio recording provided by

"Three people --  ex-girlfriend and two other people. His girlfriend was cheating on him and call taker heard him shoot himself," comes the response from dispatchers.

Then, about three minutes later, another deputy mentions Sanchez by name.

"This is the address we responded to this week. Longmont PD had charges on a guy, his name is Daniel Sanchez, with a Dodge Ram pickup."

Print this article Back to Top