A spectator at the Franklin Templeton Shootout golf tournament had a scare Saturday afternoon after she was bitten by what authorities believe was a water moccasin.
However, an examination later revealed the bite was "dry," meaning no venom was injected, North Naples fire Capt. Chuck Bacon said.
The woman, whose name was not immediately available, was walking on a path toward the grandstand at the Tiburon Golf Club around noon when she was bit.
"She felt something hit her leg. She wasn't sure what it was," Bacon said. "She looked down and a snake was sitting there coiled."
The snake had a thick body, was about 2 1/2 feet long and appeared to be black with greyish markings, Bacon said. After the bite, it slithered into the nearby water. Bacon said it was likely a venomous water moccasin
The woman had puncture wounds to her left calf, Bacon said. She was transported to a nearby hospital, examined and released.