Hollywood toddler burned with gasoline when father tried to light barbecue grill, officials say

Child has severe burns to face, neck, arms

A three-year-old boy was taken to Memorial Regional Hospital with a police escort Wednesday after suffering second and third-degree burns to the face, neck and arms, Battalion Chief Bill Major said.

It happened around 8 p.m. in a home on the 500 block of North 60th Way. The boy was standing near his father, who was trying to light a barbecue grill with gasoline, police Lt. Diana Pereira said.

The burst of flames burned the child on his face, neck and torso, she said.

Neighbor Fred Pavao was watching TV next door when he heard a child scream.

He came outside to find the child, whom he called Elvis, being patted down with a wet towel by his mother.

"She's trying to comfort him because he was crying," Pavao said. "He was in pain." He said the mother told him her son "burned himself on the grill." 

The boy was expected to survive, Pereira said.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments