Evan Spahlinger: Naples man in Miami hospital after e-cigarette explodes in his face

MIAMI - A Naples man is recovering in a Miami hospital after his family says he was badly burned when an electronic cigarette exploded in his face.

Evan Spahlinger, 21, was at the burn unit at Kendall Regional Hospital Tuesday, a day after he was injured in the face and neck by the explosion.

His mother told NBC 2 in Fort Myers that he underwent cosmetic surgery Tuesday and was heavily sedated.

Spahlinger is heard coughing and vomiting in the background of a 911 call of the incident released Tuesday.

"It exploded in his face, electric (sic) cigarette," a woman tells a 911 operator in the call. "He's awake but he doesn't look good...he's barely breathing."

The woman requested firefighters and said the smoke alarm is going off, while the operator asked about his injuries.

"It's his face.  He has burns on his neck too that I'm seeing," she says.

Spahlinger was taken to a Naples-area hospital before he was flown to Miami. Family members didn't say what type or brand of e-cigarette Spahlinger was using and it's unknown what caused it to explode.

Courtesy of our news partners at NBC Miami