Packers of Indian River: 13 hospitalized after chemicals were mixed incorrectly, officials said

FORT PIERCE — St. Lucie County Fire District Hazmat crews are on the scene of chemical emergency at a Midway Road business.

A report came in at 2:13 p.m. of at least four people at Packers of Indian River at 5700 W. Midway Road in Fort Pierce having difficulty breathing and feeling nauseous, district spokeswoman Catherine Chaney said.

Fire investigators later determined that chemicals were mixed incorrectly.

The building, with about 75 people, was evacuated at 2:15 p.m. 

13 people were taken to the hospital for observation.

Firefighters think they may have inhaled chlorine, Chaney said. The chemical has been confined.

The wptv.com web team contributed to this report.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments