ST. LUCIE COUNTY, Fla. — A fire destroyed a mobile home along U.S. 1, near Midway Road, and hospitalized the 50-year-old resident for smoke inhalation and burns, fire officials said Friday.
The cause of the fire, at 6:15 p.m. Thursday, was ruled accidental: an electrical problem, said Catherine Cheney, spokeswoman for the St. Lucie County Fire District.
The name of the man wasn't released.
Fifty percent of the mobile home, which is in a mobile home park, was burning by the time firefighters arrived at the scene in the 4600 block of South U.S. 1. And the man was outside. He was taken to a hospital in Orlando for treatment.
The fire started in a bedroom and caused a loss estimated at $40,000, Cheney said.