FORT PIERCE, Fla. - Investigators believe an electrical short sparked a fire in a Fort Pierce convenience store.
It was just before 1:30 Monday afternoon when crews got the call that smoke and fire were pouring out of the Brother's Meat and Groceries store in the 2200 block of Avenue E.
The lone employee in the store at the time managed to get out safely, but the business was destroyed.
"Fire started behind a cooler. Clerk was here. She saw sparks and flame coming out. Law enforcement responded got here first tried to put it out but it was already into the roof rafters,” said St. Lucie County Fire District Battalion Chief Nate Spera.
Damage is estimated at 70-thousand dollars.