Car chase in Boynton Beach lead to crash, shootout between 'violent' Miami fugitive and police

BOYTON BEACH, Fla. - Law-enforcement officers shot a man described as "a violent fugitive" Wednesday night after he fired at U.S. Marshals and led them on a chase that ended when his car crashed into a fence at a local elementary school.

Samir Herrera, 33, of Miramar was wanted on a charge of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon in Miami-Dade County, said Barry Golden with the U.S. Marshals Service. Officers tracked him to Boynton Beach after he failed to appear in court and found him at the Lake Monterey townhomes off Congress Avenue south of Southwest 23rd Avenue, Golden said.

A deputy marshal tried to arrest Herrera this evening and Herrera began shooting as he tried to flee in a car, Golden said. Herrera was crashing into other cars in the parking lot and "would have run over any innocent person who would have been in that parking lot," Golden said.

About 12 marshals - including the deputy, whose name was not released - pursued him, and Boynton Beach police joined in the chase when they heard about 8 p.m. that shots had been fired.

The city's SWAT team was on alert during the incident, said Stephanie Slater, Boynton Beach police spokeswoman. The team is expected to secure the Lake Monterey residence at which Herrera was found later this evening, Slater said.

The chase ended when Herrera crashed the car into the fence at Crosspointe Elementary School in the 3000 block of South Congress Avenue. He had been shot during the chase and was taken to Delray Medical Center. His condition was unknown, Slater said.

Herrera had been charged with possession of the firearm in April, six months after he was released after serving 15 years in prison on charges including armed robbery, kidnapping and aggravated battery with a deadly weapon. He had gone to prison when he was 17 years old, Golden said.

"We knew we had a violent fugitive and a suspect who has been armed in the past," Golden said. "We believed he was going to be armed again."

At some point during the chase, an unidentified woman became a passenger in the car. She also was shot and found after the chase ended at a nearby townhome, Slater said. She also was taken to Delray Medical Center and her condition was unknown.

Boynton Beach police took an unidentified third person into custody this evening after the chase, Slater said.


Print this article Back to Top