Richard Andron: Boca Raton Synagogue alerts congregation about alleged sex abuse by a member

Community in shock over sex abuse allegations

BOCA RATON, Fla. - Members of the Boca Raton Synagogue remain on edge as a longtime member of their congregation was named in a sex abuse lawsuit.

19 former students of the Yeshiva University school in New York City claim they were repeatedly abused by two rabbis and a youth volunteer in the 1970's and 1980's.

"He's a good person, he does good things in the community, but you never know," said Boca Raton Synagogue member Eyal Cohen.

The lawsuit alleges Richard Andron molested high school students while working as a volunteer at the school in Manhattan.

Andron briefly spoke with NewsChannel 5 off-camera at his Boca Raton home Monday about the allegations. He said he was cooperating with the investigation but had no other comment.

Andron was a 30-year member of the local synagogue until earlier this month. In a letter dated July 9, the Executive Board of the congregation emailed members saying "the accused person had withdrawn his membership" and "agreed not to come to campus or attend any synagogue events in the future."

"This is a community with lots of kids and in a situation like this we need to act and I think that was the right decision to make," said Cohen.

There have been no other reports of sexual abuse involving Andron since he moved to Boca Raton. But those living closest to him remain uneasy.

The civil lawsuit against the Hebrew school in New York alleges administrators didn't do enough to protect the former students against the suspected abusers.

Since the abuse allegedly happened more than 30 years ago, it is well passed the statute of limitations for a criminal case according to New York state law.

An investigation by the Jewish Daily Forward initially revealed the sex abuse allegations involving Richard Andron, and alleged cover-up by Yeshiva University administrators.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments