Worker burned at Martin County High School

Worker burned at Martin Co. High School -  

A construction worker is being treated for burns following an accident at Martin County High School.

Just before 8 a.m. in a construction area on campus, Martin County Fire Rescue says the worker was trying to refill a chainsaw that was still hot when the gas fumes apparently exploded.

The worker was airlifted to the burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami.

The victim is an employee of an independent contractor, not the school system. But Martin County Schools did issue a statement.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured worker.  Safety is always our priority.  The District will be working with Pirtle Construction to conduct a thorough investigation into the accident on the construction site and take any actions deemed necessary," wrote chools spokeswoman Cathy Brennan.

No word on the victim's condition.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments