Sgt. Justin Johnson: Body of fallen Hobe Sound soldier returns to Treasure Coast

Hundreds line the roadways in route of honor

STUART, Fla. - Hundreds gathered to watch an airplane land with the body of Sgt. Justin Johnson, a 25-year-old Hobe Sound US Army soldier killed in Afghanistan on June 18th.

"He died protecting us," said Emily Musella, a Stuart resident who came with her husband to watch Sgt. Johnson's remains return by plane to the Stuart JetCenter in Witham Field.

"We need to support him and his sacrifice," she added. "This is heartbreaking."

Musella was one of dozens who waved American flags, and stood by as Sgt. Johnson's family watched the plane land. A flag was raised to half-staff at the JetCenter entrance.

Jim Kamen's group, Patriot Guard Riders, followed the casket of Sgt. Johnson as it left Witham Field Airport.
"We need to help them in any way that we can, and show them that we honor what they did for us," said Kamen.
The riders are all veterans. Kamen served in Vietnam, and he's the assistant state captain of the guard.
Kamen said the Patriot Guard Riders participate in military homecomings and funeral processions.
Sgt. Johnson lost his life in a mortar attack in Afghanistan. Losing a soldier in an attack hit Kamen harder than he expected.
"Other ones, where people have died naturally, we do those funerals," he explained. "This one gets you."
Kamen said no matter the war or branch of service, he feels connected to Sgt. Johnson.
"I don't know how to explain it, but it's a very personal feeling, it's like a brother," said Kamen.

Sgt. Johnson's family cried with grief as his flag-draped casket was lowered from the plane.

They gathered around his hearse as a group, as his mother, Sonia Randolph, continued to cry.

Betsy Poux of Stuart was there as Sgt. Johnson's body landed. Her sister went to school with Randolph, but couldn't come to the ceremony. So Poux said she came to show her solidarity with Johnson's family.

"My heart just breaks that a little boy lost his father to protect us and keep us safe," Poux said. "He died for us."

Sgt. Johnson was Randolph's only child. He leaves behind a four-year-old son, Justin Johnson, Jr.

Print this article Back to Top