Deputies charge Vero Beach man in connection with Saturday night shootings

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY — A 62-year-old Vero Beach man has been charged with two counts of attempted murder after witnesses told sheriff's deputies he shot a man and woman several times during an argument while they were visiting his home Saturday night.

Lawrence Oliver Peterkin, of the 1100 block of 18th Avenue Southwest, reportedly fled the scene in a small red truck. The shootings were reported about 9:30 p.m. and Peterkin walked up to deputies in front of his home about 30 minutes later. He was immediately handcuffed, taken away and later charged.

The shooting victims were identified as Kenya Troutman and her boyfriend, Tony Simmons, who also live on the street. According to information in Peterkin's arrest affidavit, Troutman and Simmons were taken to Lawnwood Regional Medical Center & Heart Institute in Fort Pierce, where Simmons was rushed into emergency surgery for wounds to his face, neck, abdomen, buttocks and arm; and Troutman was treated for wounds on the right breast and thigh.

Deputies reported Saturday night that both were expected to survive their injuries. However, no information was available from Lawnwood officials Sunday morning.

According to the arrest report, three witnesses — including Troutman, who spoke with detectives at the hospital — identified Peterkin as the shooter.

However, Peterkin told deputies he fled the scene after hearing Simmons arguing with two unknown men. He denied owning a gun or being involved in the shootings, according to his arrest report.

Mabel Mills told detectives she lives in the home with Peterkin, her boyfriend.

She reported hearing an argument between Peterkin and Simmons. Mills told deputies she was standing between the two men when Peterkin pulled a small silver handgun and began shooting at Simmons.

Ciara Mills, Mabel Mills' daughter and Troutman's cousin, also lives in the home. She told detectives she heard an argument, came out of her room, and saw Peterkin pull a small handgun from his right front pants pocket and begin shooting Simmons.

Troutman told detectives she ran into the home's garage and got down on the floor, where Peterkin stood over her and fired one or two more rounds.

Troutman told investigators she believed Peterkin stopped shooting because he ran out of bullets, the report states.


Print this article Back to Top