Kaitlyn Hunt underage sex case update: Motion to remove judge Robert Pegg denied
Lamaur Stancil, Scripps Treasure Coast Newspapers
12:58 PM, Jun 25, 2013
9:49 AM, Jul 25, 2013
VERO BEACH — A motion to remove the judge assigned the lewd and lascivious battery case against a recent Sebastian River High School graduate has been denied, according to Indian River County court records.
The attorney for Kaitlyn Hunt objected to Judge Robert Pegg's decision to set Sept. 9 for the start of the teen-sex trial. Attorney Julia Graves said Pegg's decision was unfair and called for him to take himself off the case.
Graves said she was not consulted about the trial's start date for jury selection and accused Pegg of being biased against her client, the attorney wrote in a motion last week. Graves contended Pegg followed the lead of prosecutors she says have singled out Hunt's case because it involved "two girls attending high school together."
Hunt is accused of having sexual relations with a 14-year-old girl late last year. Hunt, who was 18 years old at the time, turned down a plea deal for a lesser felony.