Kaitlyn Hunt underage sex case update: Indian River County judge postpones Hunt hearing to July 25

VERO BEACH — Kaitlyn Hunt's underage sex case is postponed to July 25, despite the prosecution's objections.

The hearing originally was scheduled for June 20 to decide whether the case is ready to go before a jury. Hunt is charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery of a 14-year-old girl, who was one of her schoolmates at Sebastian River High School, court records show. Hunt, 18, is accused of having sex with the 14-year-old.

On Friday, Hunt's attorney Julia Graves told Circuit Judge Robert Pegg she needs more time to prepare. Not only does she plan on defending Hunt, Graves said she plans to challenge the state law under which Hunt is being prosecuted.

"I don't see that anything has been done," Assistant State Attorney Brian Workman told Pegg. "The state is ready to go."

Hunt has waived her right to a speedy trial and Graves said she is preparing a number of motions that need to be heard before trial. Also, the attorney said she is still investigating the case.

Pegg agreed to postpone the next trial-setting hearing to late July, when attorneys will again discuss setting a date for a trial.

Hunt didn't comment when standing with her attorneyFriday morning. Pegg approved the defense's request to not require Hunt to appear during most court matters, except for discussions of when a trial will be held.

Last month, Hunt declined the State Attorney's offer of a plea to a lesser charge of felony child abuse. Graves said her client wanted an offer of a lesser charge, a misdemeanor offense that would have less legal repercussions on the 18-year-old's life.

Before refusing the plea offer, Hunt's parents and others launched a social media campaign on her behalf that attracted thousands of signatures. But prosecutors didn't change their offer.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments