VERO BEACH — Kaitlyn Hunt's brief appearance in court Tuesday on her teen sex case may be one of her few appearance before trial, except for case status hearings.
The 18-year-old's defense attorney is asking for court permission to limit her personal appearances until selection of a jury to hear accusations she had sex with a female school friend who was 14 year old at the time. Hunt is charged with two counts of lewd and lascivious battery because it is illegal for an adult to have sexual relations with a 14 year old, even if it was consensual.
Defense attorney Julia Graves' request will be heard by Circuit Judge Robert Pegg on Friday, along with a defense motion to postpone a case status hearing scheduled for June 20.
It was then that prosecutors had planned to announce that they are ready for trial, if the defense quickly provides a list of its witnesses. In court on Tuesday, Graves told Pegg a list will be turned in by Friday.
But until Pegg rules on the motion to postpone, Assistant State Attorney Brian Workman said he can't yet say when the prosecution will be ready to go before a jury. Hunt has plead not guilty and is asking for a jury trial.
During Tuesday's court session, Hunt didn't speak while standing next to her attorney. Graves declined to comment when leaving the courtroom with Hunt. Graves previously said her approach is to not only defend Hunt, but to challenge the laws under which Hunt is being prosecuted.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for the victim's family says they are trying to protect their child.
Hunt was arrested on Feb. 16 after the victim's parents went to sheriff's investigators. According to arrest records, the two friends text messaged each other at Sebastian River High School and agreed to meet in a school bathroom where they allegedly had intimate relations late last year.
On another occasion — after the younger girl ran away from home — Hunt allegedly picked her up and took her home and there they also had sexual relations, the reports state.