3 Indian River County deputies treated at hospital after saving suicidal woman

INDIAN RIVER COUNTY, Fla. - Three Indian River County deputies were injured while saving a suicidal woman Monday evening.

At about 5:45 p.m., deputies responded to a home in the southern part of the county to check the welfare of a resident.

A concerned family member had called the sheriff's office to report a 65-year-old woman had made statements which the family had interpreted as threats to harm herself.

When deputies arrived, a neighbor said that about 20 minutes prior an unrecognized SUV had pulled into the garage of the home.  The neighbor told deputies that he believed the house was to be unoccupied for the holidays.

From the driveway of the home, deputes heard what sounded like a vehicle's motor running in the closed garage. They also noticed the garage door was slightly warm to the touch.

The fire department and EMS were dispatched, but the deputies said they didn't feel it was safe to wait for their arrival.

Deputies said they attempted to pry a window open but were unsuccessful, forcing them to break the glass with a flashlight and using a pry bar to open the window.

Deputies Matthew Davis and Jonathan Lozada entered the window and opened the front door to allow Sgt. Dane Morris and Deputy Tim Crooker to enter the home.

The deputies entered the garage and opened the door. They noticed the unconscious victim in the running vehicle with the windows down.

They reported she had pictures and other items of family memorabilia on her lap.

The woman was removed from the vehicle and carried to the front lawn where she began to regain consciousness as EMS arrived, according to the sheriff's office.

She was treated at the scene and transported to the hospital.

After leaving the garage, Davis and Lozada began to feel ill and had difficulty breathing. They were treated with oxygen at the scene and transported to the hospital.

Once at the hospital, Morris began to feel sick and was also treated.

All three deputies were released from the hospital and are expected to be back to work during their next shift.  The attempted suicide victim was also treated and will be further evaluated by medical staff.

Print this article Back to Top