John Goodman jury selection in DUI manslaughter trial enters day three

Judge said trial should end by March 20

As jury selection in the DUI manslaughter case of Wellington polo mogul John Goodman entered into day three Thursday, Judge Jeffrey Colbath announced he doesn't expect the trial to last longer than a week and a half.



Judge Colbath told potential jury members that he anticipates the trial will end by March 19 or 20.



The pool of potential jurors was narrowed to 38 from more than 100 Wednesday afternoon.

The delay comes after more jurors than expected were excused over worries the jury pool had been exposed to too much media coverage of the case.

----------

GET LIVE UPDATES FROM INSIDE THE COURTROOM ( bitly: http:// bit.ly / y0QGpb)

----------



Among the potential jurors was an accountant, a construction manager and several nurses.
        


Jury selection continued after defense attorneys raised concerns over what they said was a "circus atmosphere" outside of the Palm Beach County Courthouse.
    


Defense attorney Roy Black said he expected to have six jurors and two alternates seated by the end of today.


Goodman is accused in the death of 23-year-old Scott Wilson. Prosecutors contend that Goodman was driving drunk the night Wilson drowned in a Wellington canal. A collision sent Wilson's car into the canal on a Friday night in February of 2010.

If found guilty, Goodman faces a maximum of 30 years in prison.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments