Byron Fuchs: Grill explosion caught on camera, man suffering from second degree burns

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A Fourth of July barbeque disaster was caught on camera when a grill exploded and caught a man on fire.

Byron Fuchs was grilling on his propane grill on Thursday for a party at his West Palm Beach home.

He says he forgot to open the hood before lighting the propane grill. The gas built up inside and it
exploded.

"I looked down at my arm and I saw the skin melt off," Fuchs said.

The explosion was caught on surveillance cameras around his home. His wife was inside and heard an explosion.

"I heard the boom and I heard him yell so I went running," Renee Fuchs said.

Fuchs says he immediately ran and got into the pool.

"The only thing I could think of was to run and get into the pool," Fuchs said.

Fuchs has second degree burns on his arms and burns on his legs and head.

"I'm very grateful it wasn't as bad as it could have been," Renee Fuchs said.

Byron says he is happy to be alive and says the explosion wouldn't have happened if he opened the grill and hadn't let the propane build up inside.

"As soon as I did it, I knew I made the mistake," Fuchs said.

Fuchs was released from Delray Medical Center and is recovering at home.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments