Second person dies in carbon monoxide poisoning in Loxahatchee

1 man still in critical condition

LOXAHATCHEE, Fla. - The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said they learned that a second person has died from a carbon monoxide poisoning case last week in Loxahatchee.

RELATED: GALLERY - Irma strikes Florida

The incident happened in the 6100 block of 185th Terrace North on Sept. 14.

Elaine Kotake, 66, died last week. 

Three other people were hospitalized, however PBSO said 74-year-old Johnnie Kotake died on Saturday after being transported to St. Mary’s Medical Center.

Another man who was transported to Palms West Hospital was treated and released. However, another man is still hospitalized in St. Mary’s Medical Center in critical condition.

Garage Door Left Open While Generator Operating

Rescue crews said the house didn't have power, and the people inside were running a generator outside the home.

A garage door was open, which allowed exhaust from the generator to get inside the home.

Fire rescue says the carbon monoxide levels were four times the amount where people start to feel sick.

The sheriff's office said no foul play is suspected.

Print this article Back to Top