Loxahatchee three-year-old child severely burned after falling into open fire

Brought to Jackson Memorial Hospital Burn Center

Christina Mora, WPTV contributed to this report

LOXAHATCHEE, Fla. -- A three-year-old boy is recovering after receiving severe burns to his face, leg and hand when he fell into an open fire pit Monday night.

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office said around 10:15 p.m., Marcus Conely tripped and landed on a family bonfire in their backyard on 85th Road North in Loxahatchee.

After he fell, his grandfather quickly pulled him out of the fire.

The child was airlifted by Trauma Hawk to St. Mary's Medical Center, according to fire rescue spokesman Chief Steve Delai. Detectives showed up at the hospital after learning of the injuries.

He was later transferred to Jackson Memorial Hospital Burn Center in Miami.

A woman who didn't want to be identified but lives at the home with the family said she expects the child to be okay.

"It was a freak accident," she said. "It is tearing us up right now."

The Department of Children and Families was notified, however the sheriff's office says the fire scene and statements they recorded 'appeared consistent with accidental injury.'

The boy's condition has not been released.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments