Mother, three kids burned in Lake Worth house fire remain hospitalized, on breathing machines

LAKE WORTH, Fla. - The mother and three kids who were severely burned in a house fire on Friday have yet to be released from the burn unit at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

Youseline Herisse, 38, and her sons Harley, 13, Olwens, 7, and Walker, 6, remain on breathing machines as they recover from their injuries.

Eltony Herisse, the father of the family, said they have a long road to go until they get better.
“Wife is my body. Kids are my body. If somebody hurt, you hurt,” said Eltony Herisse. “I feel very, very stressful. You know family kids. It’s very terrible.”

Herisse said what is even more terrible is that he feels the fire at the home he rented may have been prevented.

He said since he moved in months ago he has complained several times to the property manager about electrical problems.

Herisse said one person came out to check the issue, but could not find the problem. So Herisse complained again.

“They told me they were going to send someone to assess the problem and they’re going to fix that,” said Herisse.

The father of three said on Tuesday he was sent a text message from his property manager saying they were going to send out an electrician. Days later, the home went up in flames.

Palm Beach County Fire Rescue investigators determined the fire was caused by an “electrical malfunction.” The breaker box in the backyard of the home is now marked and considered evidence.

“I lost everything. But I don’t care about everything. I care about my family, kids first,” said Herisse.

What is keeping Herisse going is the heroics displayed by an unnamed Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputy. The deputy saw the smoke, drove to the fire, jumped inside the burning home without any protective gear and began saving each of the trapped children.

“I say thank you for helping, thank you so much,” said Herisse. “God bless him.”

Calls for comment to the property manager were not returned.

Herisse's wife and children could spend several more days recovering at Jackson Memorial Hospital before being released.

Print this article Back to Top