Lake Worth barn fire that killed 9 horses started in room with various electrical appliances

Investigators say there was a short circuit

LAKE WORTH, Fla. -- A report issued by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue states that a deadly fire that claimed the lives of nine horses on March 9 started in a room filled with electrical appliances.

The report, which was released Monday, is in line with preliminary findings when the fire broke out, fire rescue investigators said.

According to the report, several items -- including microwaves and hot plates -- were plugged into a surge protector behind the refrigerator. Fire investigators noted in their report that a short circuit occurred.

Investigators said horse food and supplies were also stored in the tack room.

Juan Valerdi had been living in the room since last December, according to the report.

The 50-year-old barn in Lake Worth didn't have a sprinkler system, the report states.

Associated Press contributed to this story.


 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments