Greenacres man Steven Michael Yeatts arrested after allegedly threatening girl, 10, with shotgun

GREENACRES, Fla. — Police arrested a 45-year-old Greenacres man after he allegedly threatened a 10-year-old girl with a shotgun late Wednesday.

Steven Michael Yeatts is facing charges of aggravated assault with a firearm, aggravated assault on a law-enforcement officer and child abuse. He was released from the Palm Beach County Jail on Thursday night after posting $200,000 bond.

According to an arrest report, police responded shortly before 10:30 p.m. Wednesday to an apartment complex in the 4900 block of Wellman Trail. The girl told officers she was outside talking on her cellphone when Yeatts walked outside with a shotgun in his hands.

Yeatts looked at the girl, the report said. He did not point the weapon at her but told her he was not joking, according to the report. The girl ran inside to get her father.

It was not clear from the report why Yeatts allegedly threatened the girl.

When officers arrived, they made contact with Yeatts at his apartment. He agreed to let an officer come inside. The officer saw a 12-gauge shotgun leaned against the wall near the front door.

The officer ordered Yeatts to step away from the gun, but Yeatts instead lunged over to the weapon and grabbed it, the report said. The officer grabbed the barrel of the shotgun with one hand and grabbed Yeatts and took him to the ground with the other, the report said.

While they were on the floor, the officer pulled the shotgun away from Yeatts and slid it across the floor. A second officer arrived to help search Yeatts for any other weapons.

While standing with the officers, Yeatts reportedly said: "You can trust me. I wasn't going to going to use the gun. "

The shotgun was loaded with two buckshot shell rounds, and a third was in the chamber. Officers searched the residence and found a second firearm and two large knives.

The second firearm and the knives were place into evidence for safekeeping. The shotgun was placed into evidence, along with photos of the crime scene, the report said.