PALM BEACH COUNTY, Fla. - After almost four years, an arrest has been made in a series of five rapes in Palm Beach County from 2009 to 2011.
Baltazar Gabriel Delgado Ros, also known as Baltazar Deladoros, was arrested and booked into the Palm Beach County Jail early Thursday morning and is charged with five different charges of sexual assault.
“He used a blitz style type of attack where he would come up from behind them, a lot of times they didn’t even know he was there and immediately start punching them in the head and face to gain compliance,” said Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office Capt. Carol Gregg.
He was taken into custody after being extradited from Guatemala.
“As you know this case was international and truly we are grateful we had the ability to assist and locate the suspect and extradite him back to the United States,” said US Marshals Service Assistant Chief Glen Wilner.
At a news conference officials said, 'his DNA was a match for all five rapes."
"Delgado Ros faces 10 consecutive life sentences for these crimes," Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg said.
He is also charged with robbery and burglary, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.
“On a scale of 1-10 magnitude cases this is a 12,” said Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw.
According to Jupiter police, Delgado Ros is also suspected of attempted sexual battery on a woman in Guatemala.
The investigation involved several agencies including the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, Jupiter Police Department, Palm Springs Police Department, U.S. Marshals Service, the U.S. Department of Justice and the Palm Beach County State Attorney’s, according to Jupiter police.
Background on rape investigations, according to PBSO:
* On April 9, 2009, in the area of Old Dixie Highway in Jupiter a 21 year old, w/f, who was walking at night in her neighborhood was violently sexually battered, beaten and bitten by her attacker.
* On July 24, 2009, in Palm Springs, a 26 year old, w/f, was attacked in the early morning hours inside her home and sexually battered.
* On Aug. 8, 2009, in the area of Forest Hill Blvd. and N Military Trail, a 53 year old w/f, was sitting outside her residence in the late evening hours and was violently sexually battered, beaten and bitten by her attacker.
* On Jan. 16, 2010, a 58 year old female was attacked in the area of Lake Worth Road and Congress Avenue, while walking to work in the early morning hours. She was violently beaten and sexually battered.
* On Sept. 23, 2011, a 22 year old female was attacked in the 2500 block of 10th Avenue North, which is just east of the Esperanza Apartments. She was sexually battered and bitten by her attacker.
Story updated to reflect that police now say Delgado Ros is suspected of attempted sexual battery, and not a homicide, on a woman in Guatemala.