Prosecutors say man in NYC 'Baby Hope' death changed his story

Suspect changes account about girl's death

NEW YORK (AP) -- Prosecutors say the suspect in a notorious New York City child-killing gave investigators a series of stories about his involvement before he ultimately confessed.

   Conrado Juarez pleaded not guilty Thursday to murder in the case of a girl long known only as "Baby Hope."

   The case stumped investigators for 22 years. Juarez was arrested just last month.

   Defense lawyer Michael Croce (CROH-chee) is contesting Juarez' alleged confession.

   The girl's body was found in a cooler by a highway in 1991. Detectives recently learned her name: Anjelica Castillo.

   Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Melissa Morges (MOOR'-jhez) says Juarez initially said he just helped his sister dispose of the cooler, unaware what was inside. She says Juarez then recounted finding Anjelica's body and helping hide it, then admitted sexually abusing and smothering her.
 

Print this article Back to Top

Comments