Penn State OKs settlements for Jerry Sandusky victims
Melissa Gray, CNN
1:13 PM, Jul 13, 2013
(CNN) -- Penn State's Board of Trustees on Friday authorized the school to offer settlements to some of the men who say former assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky abused them.
No settlement agreements have been signed, the board said in a statement after its meeting Friday.
The settlement offers apply to a number of people who have made claims against Penn State arising from the Sandusky case, the board said.
"Today's action is yet another important step toward the resolution of claims from Sandusky's victims," Penn State President Rodney Erickson said in a statement. "As we have previously said, the university intends to deal with these individuals in a fair and expeditious manner, with due regard to their privacy."
The board said the settlement offers are "within a range of dollar values" that is being kept confidential.
It said there would be no more comments until the settlements have been finalized and agreed to.
A judge sentenced Sandusky in October to more than 30 years in prison for sexually abusing 10 boys over a 15-year period.
The sex abuse scandal led to the 2011 firing of Penn State's head football coach, Joe Paterno, and the ouster of the university's longtime president, Graham Spanier.
Paterno died last year of lung cancer.
CNN's Chandler Friedman contributed to this report.