Oklahoma execution: Clayton Lockett refused food and visits, received lethal injection in groin vein

MCALESTER, Okla. - The Department of Corrections on Thursday released a timeline of death row inmate Clayton Lockett's last day alive prior to his execution.

Lockett died Tuesday evening after what's being called a "failed execution" involving a vein failure and a heart attack.


According to Department of Corrections Director Robert Patton, day-of preparations for Lockett's execution began at 5:06 a.m. with the arrival of the Correctional Emergency Response Team.  Lockett was to be escorted to the medical ward but he refused orders to be restrained.

At 5:50 a.m., the CERT team and medical personnel used an electronic shock device (Taser) on Lockett after he again refused a verbal order to be restrained.

Three minutes later, Lockett was taken to a medical room where personnel discovered a self-inflicted laceration to his right arm, according to Patton.  It was later determined he needed no sutures, though he was checked by medical personnel every 15 minutes until he was taken to visit mental health personnel and finally the execution  chamber.


All day Tuesday, Patton says Lockett refused food and visits from his attorneys.

At 5:22 p.m., Lockett was placed on the execution table and restrained.  Five minutes later, a phlebotomist entered the room and for the next 51 minutes Lockett's veins in his arms, legs and feet were evaluated for viability for the IV.

At 6:18, an IV was successfully inserted into Lockett's groin area.

Five minutes later, the prison warden received approval to proceed with the execution, the shades were raised for witnesses and Lockett was given the opportunity to make a final statement.  He declined.

Patton says the execution began at 6:23 with the administration of IV midazolam.

Lockett remained conscious for the next 10 minutes.  At 6:33, vecuronium bromide was administered, then potassium chloride.

At 6:42, the shades to the execution chamber were lowered and Lockett's IV was checked by the doctor and phlebotomist.

According to Patton, between 6+:44 and 6:56, the doctor reported Lockett's vein collapsed and the drugs either absorbed into his tissue, leaked out or both.  The warden then contacted the director by phone.  The director asked if enough drugs were administered to cause death, if another vein was available and if there were enough drugs remaining.  The doctor answered no to all questions.

When asked about Lockett's condition, the doctor said he had a faint heart beat and he was unconscious.

At 6:56 the execution was called off.  Ten minutes later Lockett was declared dead.

In a letter to Gov. Mary Fallin, Patton requested an indefinite stay of execution for all other death row inmates until new protocols can be developed and refined.

"Once written, staff will require extensive training and understanding of new protocols before an execution can be scheduled," said Patton.

For more stories, visit www.kjrh.com/execution.

Print this article Back to Top