Prosecutor: No charges to be filed against anyone in Jameis Winston sex assault investigation
GARY FINEOUT Associated Press
12:15 PM, Dec 5, 2013
6:13 PM, Dec 5, 2013
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) -- A lawyer for Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says the Heisman hopeful is relieved he will not face charges in a sexual assault case and now even more focused on football.
Attorney Timothy Jansen said Thursday afternoon he had seen his client after the announcement and he was really happy. Jansen says Winston is absolutely innocent.
Earlier Thursday, State Attorney Willie Meggs said there was not enough evidence to pursue charges in the sex assault case against Winston. Meggs said the woman's memory lapses of the events last December were problematic. She told police she had been drinking before the alleged assault took place.
Winston will play in the ACC championship game on Saturday and if the Seminoles win, they'll play for the national title.
The attorney for the family of the woman who filed the complaint released this statement:
The victim and her family appreciate the State Attorney's efforts in attempting to conduct a proper investigation after an inordinate delay by the Tallahassee Police Department.
The victim in this case had the courage to immediately report her rape to the police and she relied upon them to seek justice.
The victim has grave concerns that her experience, as it unfolded in the public eye and through social media, will discourage other victims of rape from coming forward and reporting.