Indianapolis explosion: Faulty furnace, gas leak? Investigators still working to determine cause

Investigators are still working to determine the cause of a massive explosion that leveled an Indianapolis subdivision Saturday night, killing at least two people and wounding several more.

Public Safety Director Troy Riggs said Monday morning that the suspected cause of the explosion is natural gas.

"That's what we suspect as the main cause of this. Obviously, everyone thinks that. They're all talking that way," Riggs said. "But, we have to do our investigation.  That's why we're going through the rubble, making sure we understand what caused this - what ignited this - if it was gas, if it was something else."

"Right now, everyone's leaning toward gas," he explained, "but we just won't know until the investigation's final."

Investigators are continuing interviews Monday, including the homeowner of the house in question.

The Associated Press
reports the homeowner wonders if a faulty furnace might be the cause.

John Shirley told The Associated Press on Monday that he received a text message last week from his daughter about a problem with the furnace at the house the girl shares with her mother and her mother's boyfriend.

John Shirley says no one was home at the time of the explosion.

A Greenwood Schools teacher and her husband are believed to have died in the blast.

Seven others were injured, five homes were destroyed and 80 were damaged.

31 of those homes may need to be demolished.

"We want to make sure we do a good job of investigating this so that we know everything that occurred," Riggs said, but added, "It's the worst gas explosion that I've ever seen."

Riggs also reminded everybody that the investigation is only 30 hours old, and that the emergency responders have spent the bulk of that time dousing fires and making sure residents were safe, rather than sifting through rubble to determine a cause.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Print this article Back to Top