DECATURVILLE, TN (WSMV/CNN) -- Prosecutors could seek the death penalty against the man accused of kidnapping and murdering missing nursing student Holly Bobo.
In a press conference Wednesday afternoon, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Director Mark Gwyn announced a Decatur County grand jury had issued a true bill and indicted Zachary Rye Adams, 29, for especially aggravated kidnapping and first-degree murder.
"We've spent hundreds of hours on the case. Hundreds of searches conducted. It was expensive and exhausting," said Gwyn. "Please pray for the family as the investigation continues."
Bobo disappeared outside her Darden, TN, home on April 13, 2011, when Bobo's brother, Clint, saw her being led away from the home between 7:30 and 8 a.m.
District Attorney Hansel McAdams said the case could be evaluated as a possible death penalty case.
"We believe we can prove she was taken from her home without her consent," said McAdams. "We believe she was killed in that kidnapping."
The investigation appeared to pick up steam last Friday after agents from the TBI and FBI searched several locations in Decatur and surrounding counties, including the home and property of Adams in Holladay, TN, about 15 miles from the Bobo residence.
Authorities would not say whether Bobo's body had been found.
Adams was arrested on Friday on unrelated assault charges in which authorities said he held a gun to the head of Amber Bray and threatened to "gut" her.
Adams is currently being held without bond in nearby Chester County. He will be arraigned on the current charges on Tuesday.
Gwyn said the investigation into Bobo's murder was continuing.
"We are confident that, as the public understands, we're moving forward, that they will come forward with the information they have," said Gwyn. "We hope this will lead us to additional information."
Decatur County Sheriff Roy Wyatt said the indictment could be the first step of closure for the family and community.
"Thanks to the volunteers and agencies that have helped with this search," said Wyatt. "This is the first step we have to finding closure."
Holly Bobo's family did not issue a statement after the indictment.
"It's taken three years to get to this point. We don't want to mess it up now," said Gwyn. "Obviously the family is devastated. Hopefully this is close to closure for the family."
Courtesy: CNN Newsource