A Broward domestic violence judge approved a plea agreement for ex-Miami Dolphins receiver Chad Johnson on Friday, a month after his arrest on a domestic battery charge.
The arrangement — reached earlier this week between the Six-time Pro Bowl wide receiver and state prosecutors — was approved by Judge Ian Richards. It resolves Johnson's domestic violence charge, according to the Broward State Attorney's Office.
A no contest plea accepts the punishment for a crime without technically admitting guilt. Under the plea agreement, Johnson pleaded no contest to the misdemeanor charge. He will serve one year of probation, complete batterers' intervention counseling, and pay restitution for medical costs, the State Attorney's Office said.
The penalty is typical for this type of case, said Assistant State Attorney Sarahnell Murphy, who handled the case for the State Attorney's Office.
Johnson was competing for a roster spot on the Miami Dolphins when his then-wife, reality TV star Evelyn Lozada, accused him of head-butting her during an argument and filed for divorce. On Aug. 11, Johnson was arrested at his home in Davie.
The Dolphins promptly cut the 34-year-old Johnson, who still is not on an NFL roster after stellar seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals and a not-so-great year with the New England Patriots.
Under the plea agreement, Johnson will not be allowed to have contact with Lozada.
Wednesday, Johnson's attorney, Adam Swickle, reportedly confirmed that the couple who wed on July 4 are now divorced.
Copyright © 2012, South Florida Sun-Sentinel