David Alan Gore executed at Florida State Prison

Victim's family feel relief

RAIFORD, Fla. - The man whose crimes of torture and murder that  gripped a community spanning nearly three decades was executed on Thursday.

David Alan Gore, the Treasure Coast man who is responsible for the deaths of four girls and two women, died at 6:19 p.m. at the Florida State Prison in Raiford.

On Thursday, Gore met with his ex-wife, mother and a spiritual advisor in the afternoon prior to his execution.

Gore was also given his final meal which consisted of fried chicken, fries, butter pecan ice cream and soda.

Hours later, witnesses cramped into a room deep in the compound of the prison shortly before the execution, sitting in the three rows reserved for family of Gore's victims.

When Gore finally appeared, 23 people watched Gore lay, strapped to a gurney and sat and waited for his execution.

"I had my wife by the hand and we were squeezing very tightly. I had never watched anybody died before. It wasn't fun," said Carl Elliott, father of victim Lynn Elliott.

It was the murder of Elliott's 17-year-old daughter that put Gore on death row. When the curtain in the execution chamber went up, Elliott never took his eyes off of his daughter's killer.

Gore looked mostly at the ceiling while and eventually made a final statement:

"I want to say to the Elliott family, I'm sorry for the death of your daughter. I'm not the man I was back then…I'm a Christian…I hope you can all find peace today. I hope they can find it in their hearts to forgive me. I don't fear death, thank you."

The final statement did not sit well with some of the victim's family. Michael Beyer, father of victim Barbara Ann Beyer, felt the statement was not sincere.

"You know I just kind of sat their blank, waiting for it to happen," said Beyer.

At 6:09 p.m., the injections started. After ten minutes passed, a medic opened each of Gore's eyes and then searched his body for a pulse. The medic looked up at the clock and called Gore's death at 6:19 p.m. A call then was made to Governor Rick Scott to inform him Gore had died.

"I'm glad I came, I'm glad it's over. I came for her, I came for the other victims and everyone and I, I feel relief," said Nancy Beyer.

It was relief for the Beyers and the other families who gathered because they said Gore can no longer hurt anyone else.

"I'm going to relish this day because he's gone and maybe I can live my life now," said Elliott.

Prison officials said Gore's family claimed his remains, but did not specify the family's plans.

Print this article Back to Top