(KCRA/NBC NewsChannel) An emergency dispatcher was put to the test as she fielded a 911 call from her own home with her son's life at stake.
The ordeal started May 27, when 14-month-old Maverick was playing in the bedroom as his father, Robert Kimball, moved furniture to the living room. When Kimball returned, he knew something was wrong with his son.
"I tried to see what's going on and I realize he was choking," Kimball recalled. "When I first found him, his face was kind of like a pink-red. As it progressed and he started having more trouble breathing, it got to a bright red and then he just went pale in face."
Kimball, a former orderly for Rideout Memorial Hospital, tried to dislodge a metal washer that the infant had swallowed, but he wasn’t successful.
He decided to call 911.
Britney Melchor, his fiancée, was on the other end, as a fellow dispatcher she was training answered the call and took down the home address. That's when she realized it was her own son who needed medical attention.
"Mommy mode kind of hit - like, that's my son," Melchor said. "I panicked. But then I was like, 'You know what? I got to get him to the help he absolutely needs.'"
Her maternal instincts gave way to all her training, despite her personal stake in the situation. She quickly sent paramedics to her home.
Help arrived just after Kimball was able to clear Maverick’s airway of the washer.
Read more: http://bit.ly/1qV0BSM