WEST PALM BEACH - Roaches were loving it at McDonald's at Clint Moore and Jog Road (2911 Clint Moore Rd, Boca Raton).
State inspectors weren't loving the sight of live roaches near the English Muffin speed rack, beverage cooler, and cook line.
"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. You guys need to leave," explained the manager when he saw our camera.
In a statement, McDonald's owner operator Brent Bohn said, "Nothing is more important to me than operating a safe and clean restaurant. We immediately corrected the situation. I take these matters seriously and have focused our entire team on all aspects of our stringent food safety protocols."
"Anyone you can talk to is not on property right now," explained security at Valencia Isles in Boynton Beach.
Inside, the Isles Cafe (11200 Valencia Isles Blvd, Boynton Beach) was temporarily shut down for live and dead roaches. Inspectors found 37 live ones in the cafe including in the flour container, deli case, and red potato container.
Management later told us they took care of the problem and took steps to make sure they don't get closed again.
So what's with all these roaches?
"It's just the weather I guess. We have manholes right outside our back door, " explained a waiter at Flamingo Hometown Cafe in Port St. Lucie (899 NE Prima Vista Blvd).
Greg Rice with Hulett said the weather does impact pest activity, but it's not an excuse.
"Sanitation practices are key to controlling roach problems," explained Rice.
Rice admits there are probably roaches in more places than we know about.
"I eat out all the time so I want to know if a restaurant has a problem, but at the same time I am probably sure you can find a roach in the White House if you really wanted to," explained Rice.
Flamingo Hometown Cafe's owner did not return our call. Inspectors found the roaches in traps, near the soda syrups, egg sack, unused ice bin, and food storage room. The restaurant says it's cleaned up the problem.
It wasn't just roaches this week. Rodents shut down the Funky Biscuit in Boca Raton (303 SE Mizner Blvd, Suite 59, Boca Raton).
The droppings were found under the oven, under the hand washing sink, and hot water heater. Management told us they were old, but the inspection says some were still moist.
Two restaurants were also caught selling food that wasn't the right temperature and potentially hazardous, and it wasn't the first time this year.
The Seagate Beach Club (401 S. Ocean Blvd, Delray Beach) was issued a stop sale for potentially hazardous food that was too warm. This happened in May and now July.
Seagate Executive Chef Adam Gottlieb wrote in a statement, "Regarding our conversation on the health inspection for the Seagate Beach Club, all the food that was described in reference to the health inspection was discarded after speaking to the chef on duty. The employee in question, was spoken to and given a final warning regarding leaving refrigerated kitchen equipment doors open to avoid losing cold temperatures and keeping all product below 41 degrees.
In regards to the utensils left in standing water, we have reviewed with all employees all the guidelines and standards regarding the re-use of utensils, and we are now using fresh flatware for saucing and garnishing all plates.
In regards to the dated items, we have 100's of pre-prepped items that are all dated and properly labeled as per code. We are making every effort possible not to have an undated/unlabeled item in our kitchen.
All of us in the culinary field clearly understand the importance of health and sanitation standards. We take any and all infractions know matter how small very seriously and have gone through and have corrected all these pertaining issues. "
Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q (10180 S. US Highway 1, Port St. Lucie) also had potentially hazardous food both in April and now July. The owner has not responded to requests for comment..
Unemployment fraud frustrating employees
Millions of your tax dollars are paid to thieves each year. They're ripping off you and the government by filing fraudulent unemployment…
Injury after Jeep airbag explodes for no reason
The recall repair process is supposed to fix safety hazards, but in one recall the airbags are still going off for no reason.
American Laser Skincare suddenly closes
A nationwide laser hair removal office closed its doors abruptly surprising customers and employees who are out cash.
Grills rusting exposing flame to propane tank
Grillers across the country say their grill is a safety hazard. The Consumer Watchdog exposes the problem and gets the manufacturer to take action.
Restaurant shut down for roaches 2nd time
Roaches shut down a restaurant for the second time this year. The changes the owner says he is making.